Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A runner's mind

I am not a runner. Nowhere near a runner. I will never be a runner.

But sometimes I like to run. And by run, I mean 4.6 mph, treadmill for 30 minutes kind of run. I ran cross country for a couple years in high school, and in my very first meet I was the very last place runner. Like, of all the schools.

So, I will never claim to be a runner. I'm pretty confident that I would get bored running for hours on end anyways. One of my New Year's goals (remember, resolutions are already set up for failure, at least in my case) is to be consistent with my exercise, so I've started my 30 minute treadmill runs yet again. In my never-ending effort to always attempt to run consistently, this is what I would say about running.

It's terrible, exhilarating, powerful, painful, and wonderful. The first time starting up again I was nervous, scared really. But I knew it must be done and so there I went and...I enjoyed it. Ahh. Sigh of relief. Then I did it again. And again. 

Every run is just like reaching my goal over and over again. It feels great! I'm convinced running is 90% mental, 10% physical. If I think about hurting, it hurts. If I think about being tired, I'm tired. But if I zone out of all of those little worries and just decide that I'm going to keep running, magical things can happen.

And so far I have run consistently for 1 week. Pure magic.

It's a start anyways.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment